As the only integrated labor standards engineering and WFM/HCM consulting firm in the industry, we are uniquely positioned to help you achieve your people-oriented goals.
Enterprise Labor Standards
Do you want to create a better labor budget or schedule your staff to better align with the work that they need to perform? Do you want to streamline operations and increase productivity? The first step to achieving any of these goals starts with labor standards. Axsium’s Labor Standards Development services precisely establish how long it takes employees to perform each and every task associated with their jobs, along with how those tasks vary from location to location.
Our consultants use three proven approaches to work measurement: direct observation, predetermined motion time system, and work sampling. These approaches are mixed-and-matched to ensure that tasks are measured accurately, and standards are developed in the shortest amount of time.
What are the benefits of Labor Standards?
- Understand all of the activities required to run your stores.
- Develop a clear picture of all labor drivers.
- Ability to generate accurate labor hours.
- Improve productivity and efficiency.
- Eliminate wasted labor.
- Provide accurate customer service levels.
Axsium’s labor standards projects can be customized to meet the needs of the business. We can focus on the entire enterprise, or we can focus on specific departments, locations or regions. Do you have existing labor standards, but aren’t sure they reflect the current state of the business? No problem. Axsium can update them.
Customer Experience Modeling
We look at the white space between transactions and provide a virtual x-ray that illuminates how to deliver the experience your customers expect. This involves understanding associate activities, queue analysis, conversion and how your service is aligned with customer expectations. Understanding the experience and preferences of your customer will enable you to provide the optimal environment for a positive customer experience.
Things to consider when evaluating customer experience:
- Analyze and rate existing customer service practices for accuracy, timeliness and appropriateness.
- Best practices for how customer service standards are used.
- Measure how the customer service model actually executes and how that enhances or detracts from the customer experience.
- Ensure your brand differentiators stay a part of the customer experience.
- Recognize activities and traits that customers appreciate, as well as aim to avoid.
- Quantify the rate of conversion.
- Track shopper traffic and compare the conversion rate against new implementations.
- Develop long-term plans to minimize or eliminate queues.
- Validate or debunk preconceived notions about how time is spent on daily activities.
- Reveal numerical data on high traffic and low traffic times.
- Get educated on who should be scheduled and when.
- Eliminate excessive non-productive employee time.
Process Improvement Analysis
For organizations considering Initiating new methods, technologies or services with the perceived idea of improving customer service. Things like gift wrapping your customers’ purchases, circling their savings on their receipt, adding buy online with a ship to store or pick up at the store option, or RFID. What is the real cost of these innovations or customer service enhancements? What are the labor implications?
What are the benefits of Process Improvement Analysis?
- Get a quantifiable model illustrating the effects of proposed changes.
- Determine the total cost of change before it’s piloted and deployed.
- Ensure your brand differentiators stay a part of the customer experience.
New technologies and services have larger implications on your labor. Understand what those real costs are. Contact us.
Retail Productivity Plug-In for the Kronos Retail Analytics Module
Axsium’s Retail Productivity Plug-In allows for a more in-depth view of their associate’s skills and how productivity can be best utilized in the store to maximize the value of the total labor spend.
The Retail Productivity Plug-In for Kronos offers the following benefits:
- Provide corporate users with the ability to drill into opportunities by triangulating schedule effectiveness, labor spend, and store performance.
- Deliver actionable intelligence for field leadership to course correct or capitalize on scheduling opportunities by matching employee performance to scheduling opportunities.
- See if your most effective people are actually working in the right place at the right time.
- Redeploy the right people to the right place.
Set the Standard
Work measurement software is often perceived as stagnate, even archaic. Opus represents a breath of innovation and an opportunity for retailers and other hospitality managers to take a fresh look at the power of their labor model as a productivity enabler to improve the bottom line.
An accurate labor model is key to leading your organization to improved efficiency, productivity and quality. Opus gives you the power to raise the bar and set the standard.
Labor standards are used to define how long it takes your associates to perform each task their job requires of them. They are the critical building-blocks upon which accurate future labor requirements can be forecasted, upon which strategic long-term workforce planning can be based, and the return-on-investment for process improvement can be delivered.
- Accurate – Most managers depend on fragmented work measurement tools. One tool for building labor standards, another for evaluating them and several spreadsheets in between. With Opus, you have a single, cohesive data platform to enable one version of the truth and improve the accuracy of your labor model.
- Agile – Create “what-if” scenarios to analyze the impact of changes to your labor model before you deploy them. Use Opus to validate your existing labor standards and analyze their effectiveness.
- Deployable – Understand the right level or depth of detail that you need to create accurate labor standards. There may be departments that have excessive levels of standards and others that might be deficient. Ensure you have the right level of detail for every store, hotel, restaurant or casino in your fleet and seamlessly feed that information into your WFM system to improve your scheduling strategy.
- Sustainable – Managing your labor model in the cloud is a reliable way to make sure that your system stays up to date. Through a secure, user-friendly platform, the ability to manage your labor model can live throughout your organization.
Productivity Made Easy With Opus
- Includes a database of industry standards out of the box.
- Predetermined Motion-Time System.
- Easily import your existing labor standards, whether MTM or MOST.
- Quickly determine how much labor is required to make new promotions and programs successful.
- Crisp and innovative user interface renders a highly intuitive navigational experience.
- Secure, reliable, cloud-based solution means you are always working with the latest version of the software.
- With pricing starting at $500 per user per month, it’s easy to get started today.
Studia is a mobile data collection tool for work sampling. It is intuitive, easy-to-use and features a truly modern user interface.
A typical retailer labor model is made up of two key tasks: those that are customer-facing and those that are not.
Strategically, a retailer’s goal is to minimize the amount of task-based, non-value-added work and maximize the amount of time associates spend with customers. Unfortunately, many retailers believe they are spending far more time on customer-facing tasks than they really are.
Studia is a data collection work sampling app that lets you measure all of the tasks your employees perform. It allows you to capture the time you are spending on your customer-facing tasks so you can build customer-centric labor standards. And you can measure idle, talk and travel times to help you eliminate waste and improve productivity. It is a modern, mobile software tool available for both Android and iOS that makes it easy for users to create informative studies through workplace observations.
Building Labor Standards the Right Way
Other forms of data collection are time-consuming, error-prone, and are not truly suited to measuring customer service consistently and accurately. With Studia, the observer collects data via a handheld device to record what associates are doing at random intervals during operating hours.
The app provides an excellent method for collecting customer service, talk and idle times, delays and production task data. It is less time consuming while eliminating the subjectivity of the observer afforded by traditional stop-watch time studies, and gathers more useful information that can be used to build out more accurate and effective labor standards.
How Studia Works
Work sampling is a powerful process most effectively used to monitor guest interactions. Setting up studies and analyzing recorded data in Studia is quick and easy.
Once a study template has been developed and pushed to the observer’s mobile device, they can walk around the workplace to observe and record all the tasks completed in an operating day, over a number of weeks, and at a variety of locations. A completed study can then be exported by the observer via email from their device to be aggregated into an Excel spreadsheet.
When the right observations are performed at the right times, retailers can break down what their people are really spending their time on and identify waste. You can then build out highly succinct labor standards by pin-pointing tasks to change or eliminate.
» Create and manage an unlimited number of studies.
» Easy-to-use, modern, intuitive user interface.
» Export completed studies directly into Excel for editing, analysis and labor standard development.
» Record any number of observations.
» Study multiple subjects at the same time.
» Easily pause and resume the study at any time during the observation.
» Create one study template to act as the basis for all other relevant project studies.
» Download study templates to mobile Studia app via connect cable (from PC to phone), shared drive or email.
With pricing starting at $50 per device per month, call us to get started today.